My happy place is somewhere between having a plan, but not a regimented plan and being completely free to do whatever comes up.
However, I have discovered my children work best with a plan, and sometimes I do too. So when I started seeing all these posts about morning time, I thought to myself, “That is great for them, but too much for me. Four kids, 10 years apart – No Way! But something kept drawing me back to the idea. I couldn’t let go of it.
Everything I read was either very detailed or just a basket full of things that they choose from at will. I knew what I needed was somewhere in the middle of these two ideas.
Thus was born…our version of Family Time!
In our home, family time only lasts about 15-20 minutes. The two youngest are allowed to play quietly if they listen. And it occurs sometime between 10am and 2pm usually. Yep – the exact time thing just didn’t work for me.
We use our den. This room has three different couches/chairs, so I get one and the two older boys can stay separate. Then there is plenty of floor room for the younger two to play.
I needed something defined, but not too defined. You know what I mean? So we have four daily topics and one weekly.
Monday = Art
Tuesday = Community Day – no family time (or maybe LOTS of family time)
Wednesday = Poetry
Thursday = Character Trait Stories/Discussions
Friday = Prayer
Weekly – Memorize a verse together (rotate who chooses the verse).
We also have a few rules, but not too many. And they are simple of course.
1. Everyone able to participate must!
2. No stressing over a missed day (my rule for me).
3. Quiet play is fine if you are listening.
4. Respect others and their answers/questions/thoughts.
We have materials we use each day, except Friday. I’m working on that one. I look forward to sharing our favorite books for each topic, and I hope you’ll share with me any suggestions you might have too!
So my best advice is 1 -pray about it – 2 – keep seeking after your ideal morning time if you feel led in that direction, and 3 – make it your own!
No one else’s morning time/family time is just right for your family!
I LOVE books in baskets. With family time, putting all the books in one place is such a help. Ok. I love ANYTHING in baskets. Here are a few of my favorites!
- 31Have you ever seen these books before? I have several of these fun Brian P. Cleary grammar books thanks to my mom, and I am always on the lookout for more on Amazon or at Half-Price Books. The books cover so many different grammar topics, such as adjectives, adverbs, nouns,…
- 31I recently had the opportunity to serve a dear friend, whose sister was tragically killed. Honored to be friends with much of the family, it was only natural to want to help in any way possible. Being available when requested is the easy part. What isn't so simple is anticipating needs that…