Recently, I was given the privilege of reviewing the Apologetics Study Bible for Students HCSB. While I was provided with a free copy of the Bible in order to create this review, all statements and opinions contained within this post are mine. Please see my full disclosure policy here.
The gift of a confident faith is honestly one of the greatest gifts I can ever give my child. I recently heard at a conference, “Your child can’t borrow your faith.” He has to grasp that faith for himself. But as his parent, it is my job to help provide the tools for him to do so. The Apologetics Study Bible for Students by HCSB gives parents specific tools to use together with their student in moving toward that confident faith you so deeply desire for him to have. Once you’ve read about the excellent features this Bible provides, be sure to enter to win one for your student too!
I want to begin with a basic feature my son and I find appealing – the tabbed pages. Study Bibles contain lots of extras, so it isn’t always as simple to find the right place, even if you know your books of the Bible. Tabs provide the student with easy access, regardless of where the extras are placed.
Using the HCSB Study Bible already, my son (sometimes one, sometimes both) and I dove into the special features included in this new Bible. Here is what we found to be true!
1. Book Introductions are often one big paragraph, so my son skips them. (Shh! I do too.) This Bible gives clearly organized information displayed in an easy to read and easy to understand format. In each introduction, you easily find the theme of the book, the author, the dates written (or most likely written) and even events going on in the world at this time. As a family entrenched in classical education, we seek to integrate Biblical details with details of the world in a full timeline. The Student Apologetics Study Bible does exactly that.
2. Study notes can sometimes be “lightweight,” but not true here. You will find details, details, and more details. The notes provide helpful context for what you are reading. While the print is a tad small for my eyes (reading glasses fix that), the rich and informative study notes are worth the read.
3. Numerous articles ranging in topic from “How Old is the Earth?” to “Is the New Testament reliable?” will encourage your student to seek answers to the deep questions, and will provide an extremely useful resource for you and your student to contemplate and discuss these topics together.
4. The Twisted Scriptures feature takes 60 different scriptures, which are commonly twisted by different religious movements and shows why their misuse is contrary to what the Bible is truly teaching with these words. For example, Matthew 7:1 is often used to say don’t judge anyone, ever. We learn why that is not the whole truth and why sometimes we are to judge.
5. Each Challenges and Tactics section takes a specific challenge to the Christian faith, labels the tactic being used in this challenge and then gives the student a clear response which refutes it. Assisting the student in gaining a full understanding of what this section is about, each tactic, or argument fallacy, is described in detail in the beginning of the Bible. 25 challenges are listed and refuted through the Student Apologetic Study Bible, and I must say it’s probably my favorite section!
6. Fast Facts contain 20 topics which are hot button issues today. Each section lists bullet points about the Fact listed, and shows what scriptures says about the topic. Abortion and Islam are only two of the 20 topics referenced here. Your student will learn what the Bible says about each issue, not a person’s opinion on it.
And there are more features! One thing I can’t leave out is the inclusion of the plan of Salvation. It’s clear. It’s scripture based. It’s about what the God of the Universe did for us and how we will respond to Him.
If this wasn’t enough for your student, Sean McDowell has also created several brief videos that share a wealth of information about issues your student will face today! I’ve watched several of the videos with my oldest son, and he was truly engaged. Often, when you hear the words energetic and brief, you get long and boring. Sean McDowell has truly created a series of videos that catch your student’s mind and heart, motivating him to want more!
One video, “Can God create a rock so heavy that He can’t lift it” actually mirrors questions my son has asked me. It was helpful for us to sit down together to watch this video and see what the question is not actually a legitimate one in the first place and why. We also watched the video on doubting and loved the message that when a child begins to doubt what is true, it means they are looking for real truth and are ready to wrestle with what it is. “If you seek after truth, you will be led back to Jesus, because Jesus IS Truth.”
And right now, you can enter A Confident Faith Sweepstakes , which will be giving away Bibles, free mini libraries of B&H’s best apologetics resources, and even trip for two to the National Conference on Christian Apologetics (NCAA) being held October 16-17 in Charlotte, NC.
I am excited to have the opportunity to give away a free copy of the Apologetics Study Bible for Students by HCSB! Enter here to win!
“Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.
Only one entrant per mailing address, per giveaway. If you have won a prize from our sponsor Propeller / FlyBy Promotions in the last 30 days, you are not eligible to win. If you have won the same prize on another blog, you are not eligible to win it again. Winner is subject to eligibility verification.”
Giveaways valid in US & Canada only.